Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Welcome to my Blog!

Hey Y'all!

Welcome to my blog! My name is Dave and I am a sophomore in high school.  I am also a professional kiteboarder. I have been kiteboarding since I was 9 years old and it is by far the most exhilarating sport I have participated in. The sport has led me to experience the unbelievable and meet my greatest heroes.

In this blog, I will be writing about some of my exciting adventures of English 3! This thrilling road began over the summer of 2013. The first work of literature I read was "Eveline." As I finished reading the short story, I was struck with confusion. Nonetheless, I continued on to read the rest of the stories and poems. As I read, my mind kept reverting back to the end of "Eveline." I couldn't understand why Eveline was not able to get on the boat with Frank.

I became angry at Eveline for not leaving her rather terrible to live a new, possibly improved life with Frank. I was puzzled as to why she would make a choice like this. It seemed like an escape, an opportunity for freedom. After reading the story again, my frustration only increased. Then I realized that Eveline did not really make a choice.


"She set her white face to him, passive, like a helpless animal. Her eyes gave him no sign of love or farewell or recognition."

This line frustrated me even more because it seemed to me like Eveline did not want to go with Frank. I thought that was her making a decision. Later, I decided that she was frozen with fear. The fact that she was leaving all she knew and  suddenly struck her. I think it was her instinct to resist. She was emotionally connected to her home. I still can't decide whether her not entering the ship was a decision or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment