Thursday, September 19, 2013

Born Too Late???

Miniver Cheevy


The first stanza of the poem puzzled me. I don't understand why somebody would wish that they were never born. I can understand why somebody would wish that they were born earlier. I have felt that way a couple times. Maybe the speaker felt like he could relate to the way of life of the previous generation better. On the other hand, when somebody speaks of not being born in the first place, I feel like he is mentally ill.

Possibly, the author is trying to convey a message about how terrible the new generation is. I think Robinson is attempting to depict that as time is passing, important traditions is being left behind along with good morals and ethics. Therefore, the speaker would be much more content if he was born in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment