Monday, January 20, 2014

My First Impression of Okonkwo

When I started to read Things Fall Apart, I was extremely fascinated by the nature of Okonkwo. I respected him for striving to be a great man, especially considering he came from a dishonorable background. The difference i responsibility between Okonkwo and his father was incredible. It was impressive to read about his success in wrestling. As the story started to evolve, I found myself disgusted with the manner in which Okonkwo treated his wives and his many children. He really didn't need to be so cruel and violent just in order to play "tough guy." For example, I thought it completely unnecessary to beat his wife just to get satisfaction. I soon understood that Okonkwo was extremely paranoid of becoming anything like his father. He mentions that as his father began to get older, he became more kind and compassionate. Therefore, Okonkwo is sure to be just the opposite: vicious and angry. I began to feel pity for his wife and his children for having to put up with his cruelty. Later, when Ezinma is being taken to the cave, her mother follows because she loves her and is afraid that her daughter will be hurt. Remarkably, Okonkwo also follows with a machete. He not only ones travels to the Cave, which is a long distance away, but he goes four times. He requests his wife to return home and offers to wait for his daughter and ensure her safety. By his fourth visit to the cave he is described as being "gravely worried." This truly shows that despite his cruelty and toughness, Okonkwo truly does care for his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment